Friday, September 19, 2008

Yet Another Post About Giving Birth

This is the last one I promise.

Those of you following along might realize this photo was taken on Monday night. The night we spent 6 hours at the hospital to find that after being there through the night & walking & walking waay to early in the morning that it just wasn't happening. At least not right then. We went home after I had only progressed to 4 cm. We got home at 7am & crashed until early afternoon. I took an hour long nap in the late afternoon & then made supper & got the kids ready for school the next day & bed as usual. Craig & I were in bed by 9:30 thinking that nothing was happening at all. By this point my contractions had all but stopped. Imagine my surprise when I rolled over at 12:30am & felt a small gush of water. I jumped out of bed & told Craig I thought my water just broke. I repeated myself 3 times as he kept asking me what over & over. Finally he got the picture & jumped out of bed too when I said, "I. THINK. MY. WATER. JUST. BROKE!!" I called my midwife & told her that it had indeed broken, but I wasn't having any contractions & that we were tired of making fruitless trips to the hospital. She strongly suggested we come in anyway, so we thought we'd slowly get ready & head in. When I was talking to my mother-in-law I had my first contraction. When I was talking to my doula I had my second & third. At this point we decided we better call the neighbors again & head out to the hospital. I continued to contract the whole way there with water gushing out at each contraction. Craig wheeled me up to maternity, not because of great pain, but because I didn't want a water trail left behind me!

Here I am 2 hours after my water broke. It looks real this time, doesn't it? I have to admit that an epidural crossed my mind. This was going to be my last birth. I deserved to at least try an epidural once, right? Marjan said, "Well you can get one, but you won't get to have a water birth then." Oh yeah. Speaking of water birth it didn't exactly happen. By the time the tub was filled & I got the go ahead the contractions were fast & furious. I was in the tub for 10 minutes when I was told I needed to get out, because the water was too hot & they needed to get the temperature down. I swear all I did was get on my knees to get out & I had to push right then. So, imagine how fun it was climbing out of the tub at that point! I spent two pushing contractions on my hands & knees on the bed & two on my back & Kaia was born. Two hours after arriving at the hospital! Good thing we got there when we did!

Kaia makes her debut.

Marjan gives her the first bath.

Meeting Micah and Ayla.


20 comments:

Cheri said...

What a precious little bundle, and how special Marjian was there to give her first bath! I enjoyed your birth story!

Todd said...

Great photos! She's beautiful! Now I just wish you could post some video. Oh, you can on Flickr (90 seconds, max). The kids look so happy with her. :)

Mindy said...

hey todd - we videotaped the birth. wanna see that?!

Anonymous said...

What a doll. Glad 's she 's here.

The J's said...

Oh, what a sweetie! Congrats again, and I love the pix of the kids with her. Sorry about you had to miss the water birth...even sorrier you had to climb out while in the middle of labor...aaahhhhgggg!

Becky said...

What a pleasant surprise to see that you posted pictures of her. I've been waiting patiently. She looks like a doll.

Lani said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you for stories and pictures. This sounds like my experience with Kekoa... verbatim. I was in the tub when my body started pushing and beings it was my first and it happened so quickly (less than two hours after we arrived at the hospital)... it scared me to death. I almost had a water birth without even trying, so I can TOTALLY sympathize with how awful it is to climb out of the tub and get to the bed. It took a nurse and Craig for me.

Carrie said...

I love the pictures of the kids with Kaia. They both look absolutely happy and excited to have a new baby sister. Congrats. Still anxiously awaiting our new bundle of joy!

Heidi said...

Oh, how I love birth stories! Thanks for sharing--and congratulations!

Brian, Erin, Connor & Ty said...

So fun to see your newest little sweetheart! Can't tell you how badly I want to catch up to you!! Love hearing your birth story although I wish the tub problem & false alarms hadn't happened : P I almost had to get out w/ Ty for the same reason but they dumped tons of ice in & ended up letting me deliver there, but the thought of getting out at that point was appalling so I feel for you. Climbing out of the tub can NOT be fun right then. Also remember pacing the halls w/ lots of threats of being sent home so I appreciate your walking picture! Hope Kaia is settling in well - looks like brother & sister might like her a little - very sweet!

Neisha said...

oh how sweet she is. you brave soul, no epidural. the thought would never cross my mind. i was all for drugs.

Shannon said...

Congratulations, she's beautiful! Can't wait to meet her for real. Brother and sister look pretty smitten =)

" Mama "Looie said...

Mindy and Craig, Congratulations on your darling baby girl! I love her name!!!What color is her hair? You won the race! It won't be long now .Erin is having contractions as I write, but who knows if they are the real thing.:)The pictures of the kids with Kaia are precious.They remind me of some I have of Todd and Erin when Kait was born. Fun! Enjoy this special time and do take care of yourself. I hope we get to meet Kaia soon.

Kara said...

How beautiful are all your children?! I'm so happy for all of you that Kaia is here,healthy and happy. Congratulations, once again.

Sara, Justin, Simon and Max said...

So very precious. We laughed and laughed at you yelling at craig in the night. :)

Anonymous said...

I can't believe how big Micah & Ayla are getting!!! Kaia is sure a little doll baby!!!Congrats

Anonymous said...

The kids are just adorable!!!!

keep in touch!
love, Penny
pdevine@tconl.com

sabrina said...

Heard from my MIL that you had a baby girl so had to check the latest. Congratulations! She is adorable. Are you still going to EB or Menomonie now?

Mindy said...

sk - not sure who you are, but we are planning on menomonie.

sabrina said...

This is "SK". (Sabrina K.) I changed my username to be more anonymous since our other "house for sale" blog puts my name under each picture and I didn't like that. So in answer to your question. . . Did you know you can click on "sk" (or anyone who comments) and it brings you right to their blog?