Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Blecch!

This whole labor & birth thing is really getting on my nerves. We had ANOTHER false alarm last night. I started having regular contractions so I called my mid-wife & she wanted to check me. We got there at about 11pm & by mid-night we knew that although my contractions were strong & 5 minutes apart I was still only dilated to a 3. We slept (ha! have you ever tried to sleep in a hospital bed, hooked up to a monitor while having contractions?) for 2 1/2 hours & then the nurse came& checked me & I had progressed to a 4. We slept for 2 more hours before my mid-wife checked me to find that I was still at a 4 & that the baby's head had actually moved up a bit! Oh & my contractions had moved to 9 or 10 minutes apart. So next up, 1 1/2 hours of walking circles in the hospital hallway. Next check I was still a 4 even though baby's head had moved down & I was feeling lots of pressure & more intense contractions. We talked about breaking my water, but that just wasn't something I felt comfortable with being that I was only a 4 & still 3 weeks from my due date. We finally decided to head home & get some "real" sleep, so that's where it stands. I'm sore all over & my contractions have slowed to about 3 or 4 an hour & they aren't nearly as intense as they were last night. Sigh! This is getting old fast. At this point Craig, my friend Marjan (who is being my doula) & my mother-in-law are all here twiddling their thumbs. I guess it's back to life as normal tomorrow unless we have progression today. Hopefully the next post on here will be a photo of this baby that seems to be so comfortable in my belly!

10 comments:

Camerons said...

Hi Mindy! I feel for you! I was the same way with our second child. I'd read somewhere about trying a heating pad on your chest. So, I went to bed with a heating pad - it felt wonderful! Slept great until I woke up with strong, frequent contractions. (3 in 10 minutes) Our baby was born less than 3 hours later. I don't know if it just worked out that way, or if the heating pad helped. Good luck! Hope to see you at convention! Sheila

Cheri said...

Got a ball?? The night I started contracting with Liam...I bounced on my ball whenever they seemed like they were tapering off.

Kara said...

Hey Mindy, hang in there! I'll be praying for you!

Neisha said...

oh no Mindy! how miserable. hopefully the baby will decide to make an appearance after all...soon

Neisha said...

I was thinking of you sleeping between contractions...yes I can imagine it because I did it with Kylie. I was drugged (of course!) and I had to push for 2.5 hours with her. Well towards the end I was just exhausted from pushing that I would fall asleep between pushes.

The J's said...

Hang in there! I know it's frustrating, must be also a little "weird" knowing everyone out there in blog land is "waiting" on you! lol! Baby WILL come when it's ready!
at the end of some of my pregnancies as soon as I would go to bed the contractions would start in, and I'd lay there & time them & think for sure "this is it" then a couple hours later they'd quit. With my 6th, my water leaked out for 2 days before she was born along with minor contractions & I thought the "real thing" would NEVER start up. When it did, I'd just went to bed & 20 minutes later my water broke for real & 2 hrs. later she was born!
When my daughter was due with her 2nd, she called me to come (I'm 3 hrs. away) so did, then it was false alarm & we waited 4 more days before she took castor oil in desperation because she was afraid we'd leave & she was tired of the up's & down's of "not the real thing". It worked....her water broke & he was born no more than 1 1/2 hr. later.
Try to relax & not stress over it, do something you want to do (besides have a baby~~ lol!)
walk, walk, walk!
wishing you calm, happy, stress free hours!!

Shannon said...

if you're desperate there is always castor oil =) the heating pad sounds much nicer!

Shannon said...

oh, and does this mean that we'll see you at eagle bend 2??

Heidi said...

Mindy, I'm so sorry this is happening to you. I know how slowly those last days go. I had several (non-productive) contractions an hour for the last 4 weeks with the last pregnancy, and I thought I would go insane waiting for the real thing. I'm sending labor vibes!!!

Becky said...

Want to come and stay with us? You'd be 10-15 minutes closer to the hospital.