Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Tuesday Ramble

Today I had an MRI done on a knee that has been giving me trouble. It was only after I arrived at my appointment that I was told I'd need to dump my breast milk for 48 hours after the procedure! Apparently they want to inject a dye in me that will show up in my trouble spot if blood is going to that area. Umm, hello? My baby is like two months old & I don't know if she'll even take formula as I've never tried giving it to her. Luckily the appointment wasn't a total bust. They took some images today without the dye & on Friday I'll have some taken with it. So anytime you think of me during the next four days I'll probably be hooked up to the milk machine. Oh & I'm really dreading the nights we'll be bottle feeding. I generally have a baby on boob half the night every night. Now I'll actually have to get out of bed & warm up a bottle! Yikes! Wish me luck.

Micah's class wrote letters to Santa today. He couldn't wait to tell me what he asked for. He wants hockey equipment & a Lego kit for himself. He thought Ayla would like some more Polly Pockets. He very thoughtfully requested a meat grinder for his Dad. That way Craig can make his own ground venison. So, that leaves me & the baby. He didn't think the baby needed anything. OK, well what about mom? He couldn't think of one thing that I might like. I continued to prod him & he decided that something I would really love would be a new bowl for cooking! So. Apparently I'm the big fat mom that only cooks & cleans & has no outside interests. I know, I know, that's not what he meant, but I found it interesting that it was hard for him to come up with something. Maybe I do need some hobbies. Any suggestions?

14 comments:

Mimi/Susan said...

One suggestion is to let Daddy get up at night and give the baby her bottle. Of course you might be a little uncomfortable in the chest area as well as the knee around 4AM! But it will buy you a few extra hours of sleep. And every Mommy likes a massage, right?

Sara, Justin, Simon and Max said...

Don't people seem awfully nonchalant when you tell them you have a nursing child?? hello! Good luck, then! I hope everything's okay. I plan on driving over to see you one of these times!

Shannon said...

i hope everything goes okay with your knee...and yeah, make craig get up! if i made evan get up with cole he'd probably end up feeding avrie a bottle of water or something. he's so incoherant at night that i'm afraid to have him get up with one of the kids. it's a bit annoying!

All American Family said...

I hear you about the whole nursing thing...not only are there all the health benefits for the baby (and Mom) but it sure is convenient to just stick a boob in the hollering mouth at night and go back to sleep with a happy baby sucking away. ;) Suggestions...a massage, new camera, editing program for all those awesome pics you'll get of your kids with that new camera, lap top computer (maybe you alread have one??). Yeah, and your son can just run out and get these things, right?? ;)

The J's said...

Ugg! getting up at night to give a bottle! At least now you have a little time for pumping ahead tho, sometimes I really don't know what "they" think. Unfortunately "they" are really quite uneducated on nursing moms/babies. Yes, just quit nursing for a couple days, pop a bottle in, no biggie...hello!!

Neisha said...

I never made Justin get up with the kids during the week because he had to get up real early anyway for work. It frustrated me but I knew that he needed the sleep.
Hobbies....sorry don't have many myself. Though I'd like to learn how to crochet/knit. There's also sewing, scrapbooking, stamping, puzzles. It's hard to have something you can do while the kids are around.
Justin wants a meat grinder too. Last night he made venison jerky...yum!

The J's said...

Hobbies are hard to really have/enjoy when you have little kids, there's so much else to do & of course that dosen't count trying to do something in the middle of kids running around! Reading, Sewing & Photography were my main hobbies. I didn't have the advantage of computer/digital fun for my photography then, so that's expanded now, & easier. I still read a lot, but I sure went thru the books while nursing a baby!

Amber said...

I second the massage motion...and a facial and some reflexology. ;0)

Sorry you have to get up at night, I know how much that would suck. I have a wedding this Saturday (to shoot) and I will need to be up nights to pump since Archer only gets up once at night, but eats regularily during the day.

Melissa said...

I like to read your blog once in a while--I love how you write--I find it very interesting that children think all we do is spend time in the kitchen or on the computer. I am back in college and for a lang. class I had to write a children's story. We could have someone else illustrate it so Kaylee drew a picture of her great grandma in the kitchen, Amara drew a picture of grandma in the kitchen, Kaylee drew me sitting by the computer-sigh.. and Kris--Amara drew one of her taking care of babies. I do not think they think these actions are negative like I do. I had to comment---so it is so longggg.

Lani said...

Hobbies...hmmm... mine is photography/pictures. I'm an amateur and don't have a fancy camera, but I enjoy it nonetheless. Craig frequently helped with the night time duties with our boys because their Mommy is incoherent like Shannon's husband is. Even when he had to get up early and go to work in the morning. Poor guy. Ha.

Lani said...

p.s. Find anything out about the knee?

Mindy said...

no news about knee yet - hopefully next week.

The J's said...

What did you find out? you mentioned on a later post about having surgery?
Thinking of you!!

Anonymous said...

Are mom's allowed to have hobbies??? If I get a hobby it is going to be nightly bubble baths:) I'm to lacking in craft skills to make anything...
I couldn't nurse and had to get up all night all of the time, but at least someone else can help out.
Tammie N