Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Where Does The Time Go?

Hint: The photos will tell you what I like to spend my time on.

I've been asking myself that every night at about supper time. Then at the kids' bedtime I'm asking myself, "Why am I so tired & what did I do today?" My hubby is probably asking himself the same thing although he's wise enough not to say it out loud! So I've been thinking about it & decided to write myself this post. Next time I'm wondering I can look it up & answer my own questions. I've decided that the bulk of my time gets eaten up by two things. (Being on the computer is not one of them. I multitask when I'm here. Just look at my keyboard & you can see that I almost always eat when I'm here. My hubby was not happy to find that dried chocolate is the reason two keys were sticking together. I'm also nursing the baby as I write this. No wonder my neck & shoulders are sore.) Anyhoo, the biggest consumers of time in my life are; 1) All that has to happen in order to get the kids to & from school. 2) Getting everyone in the family fed & the cooking & cleaning that entails. I'll give you an abbreviated version of a typical day.

- I finish the baby's early morning feeding at about 6am

- 7am - 8:30 is entirely consumed by getting the kids up, dressed, fed & to school.

- If I'm lucky I have from 8:30 to 9:00 to fix & eat my own breakfast.

- It's 9:00 & time to feed the baby again.

- Now I have from the end of baby's feeding until about 11:00 to throw in a load of laundry, unload the dishwasher etc.

- From 11:15 to 11:40 I'm busy getting Ayla from school.

- It's almost noon. Time to get Ayla her lunch & feed the baby again.

- Thankfully from about 1:00 to 4:00 every day the baby is napping. This gives me time to fix, eat & clean up my own lunch. I also continue with laundry & whatever else has to be done.

- At 4:00 Micah gets off the bus. That means it's time to get the kids a snack. Usually the baby wakes up hungry during this time period as well.

- Between 4:30 & 5:00 I'm done feeding Kaia & it's time to move into the kitchen & prepare supper.

- After we eat we need to clean up the mess. I feel ready to go to bed by then, but I go ahead & finish cleaning the kitchen. Then it's time to get lunches & snacks ready for the next school & work day.

- 7:00 time to do homework with Micah & get him & Ayla off to bed.

- 8:00 the kids are in bed & often times I am heading that way shortly.

So you see, it's mostly all about food. I do have to confess to one thing though. Whenever the baby isn't eating or sleeping you can often find me just sitting. I can't seem to stop holding, kissing & snuggling with Kaia. She's talking & smiling now. I just can't resist trying to get those sounds & smiles from her as often as I can. So, that's our life right now. I'm tired & lots of things aren't done, but I can't say I regret one minute of it! I'm just realizing I didn't say much about Craig. He helps a lot when he's in the house. But, a great majority of his time is spent messing with our wood supply. It seems like there is always wood to cut, stack & split. Since this is how we stay warm, I'm not complaining!

Who could resist that sweet smile?


14 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my word! When I saw the first picture, I thought she looks like Micah. Then I saw the last picture and saw Ayla! Hmm... well, she's definitely their sister. :) Super cute! So wish we could hold her. Miss you guys!

Unknown said...

And she has brown eyes, too? By the way, your day sounds like ideal life to me. :)

Todd said...

Love the photos! Ditto to Ina's first comment. Sounds like you're enjoying your wood stove as much as we are ours. We have a ton of snow right now, so it's especially nice. Still don't have the radiators on in our bedroom or most of the house. It heats the whole place quite well.

Neisha said...

aww, she's so cute!! She's getting big!

Mindy said...

yep - super duper dark brown eyes just like her sibs. we can't tell what her hair is going to be like yet.

Carrie said...

That second picture reminds me so much of Ayla. Really enjoyed this post since I was wondering what Kaia is looking like these days. She is sure growing! Have a great Thanksgiving!

Amber said...

Sounds like my day, only yours is way more scheduled...we tend to fly by the seat of our pants and it's chaotic...with having 2 younger kids, I have computer time if I want it becauseit seems like someone always wants to be in my lap! I've been thinking aboout getting into a routine.(we've never had one) and wonder if then I'd have time to fit in things that I never seem to have time for, like excercise....Kaia has really grown and changed.

Lani said...

Thanks for posting pictures of your sweetheart. ;) She's adorable. And I know exactly where time goes. You're doing good, Momma. Giving your kids what they need the most. Hugs.

Kara said...

What wonderful pictures of your little girl. Those first 6 months plus are so exhausting and I always wrestel with wanting the house clean and just enjoying the new baby and our family as I wade through crumbs, dust and whatever else is piled up to my knees.:)

All American Family said...

Sweet post...love the pictures of Kaia...babies take up so much time, but we wouldn't trade that time in for anything in the world!

Anonymous said...

Kaia is beautiful! It's so fun to see new pics of her!!!
Oh, i love the time when you CAN just cuddle them and snuggle!
~Christina

The J's said...

Such a little darling! I've been so looking forward to seeing new pictures! I remember just how those days went too! Generally took me 9 months at least to get back to doing much else in my day! Babies won't keep tho, so enjoy the smiles, coos & snuggles!

Ethel said...

i love the smell of their little heads. these pics make me sort of happy/ sad. i'm happy for you that you get to hold her all the time...sad for me that i've not even met her yet...

Mindy said...

ethel - you guys need to come visit us for a wknd. our house it not huge, but we could make it work. i really feel like we'd all get along very well.