Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Our First Track And Field Day

OK, this event made me feel like a seriously inept mother.  I was under the impression that Micah would have a couple of events & that then we could leave for the day.  I kept waiting to hear the exact time of his first event so I could get there right before it started.  When he asked & then told me to be there at 9:00 I came.  I had my camera, a smallish lunch for Micah, a couple of bottles of water and my sunglasses.


The other mom's had things like chilled water in a spray bottle to cool their kids off after running, coolers over packed with food, hats and SUNSCREEN.  Micah did not get burnt, because he doesn't burn.  I used to be just like him.  USED to be.  I currently have the worst burn I've ever had.  The next three years I will be prepared.  For anything!



I love the above photo.  Look at the gym teacher looking at the mom goofing off for my benefit!  I seriously wonder what he was thinking!


These four buddies all qualified for the relay race.  They were quite pleased to get 1st place.

7 comments:

Gary said...

You weren't inept Mindy, just clueless. :) And I don't mean that is a negative way. Now you know, before you didn't. And next yr you will be able to laugh at the clueless mothers at a track meet for the first time.

Mindy said...

i won't laugh at them i will help them! parenthood makes you feel inept or clueless often. it doesn't stop as the kids get older. it keeps us humble!

Neisha said...

too bad the school didn't let you know more about the event and that it would be hours long. Don't worry, I've had many moments at school like that where I was under prepared.

Mindy said...

i think the school assumes that everyone knows & most everyone does. since we aren't really into the whole sports thing it's all pretty new to me. it's a way of daily life to most everyone else!

Anonymous said...

I remember those days... so fun but yes, they do get long. Great job on the relay win! I always liked volunteering for an event as it seemed the time went more quickly than to sit and watch. I didn't always get to see my child participate in every event but it was fun to get to know some of the other kids, too.

And, my kids always refused sunscreen, anyway... sometimes the kids with the more prepared moms are embarrassed by the pampering, especially as they get older. :)

Mindy said...

i did end up volunteering for the field event part, even still it was a long day. mostly it was just too hot. 10 degrees cooler would have been much better!

All American Family said...

I had my first experience with a "Field Day" with Jacob this year too. And, yes, I was clueless. I was so glad that the little kids got to have their outdoor time in the morning though as it was in the middle 90's and this pregnant Momma was HOT! And swollen. Thank goodness David got to be there too so Jacob had a cheerleader the whole time while I found a tiny little desk inside to sit my not so tiny tail down in! Congrats to Micah on making 1st place. What an accomplishment.