Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Counting My Blessings Today

We've had people sick in our house every week for the past 3 weeks. Ayla threw up 2 Sundays in a row. The second time we happened to be at our evening church services. Luckily Craig managed to contain the puke. It all ended up on poor Ayla. There was one teeny tiny spot on the floor that I had to wipe up. Then this past Sunday Craig got sick & even missed work yesterday. He went back today even though he was still very nauseous & felt like passing out this morning. In the night Kaia woke up crying a different kind of cry. I went to her & she was burning up & shivering. Poor little dear, her first fever. I woke up this morning feeling depressed - being surrounded by sick people always has this affect on me for some reason. It makes me mad & sad at the same time. This is something I need to figure out & deal with, because as my hubby often (thankfully) reminds me it's just a part of life. And so. I decided to write 5 things I'm thankful for in order to have a more positive outlook.

1. The beach party we got to go to last night. I was actually able to kayak since there were plenty of people willing to help with the baby. There was good food, fellowship with friends of all ages and a bonfire. It was great fun for me & the kids! I'm thankful for wonderful friends.

2. That the kids' school supplies are mostly bought. There is nothing better than new school supplies. As much as I love summer with a relaxed schedule, I'm chomping at the bit to get more organized soon!

3. I'm typing this while listening to the quiet house. The baby is sleeping & the kids are outside playing with the chickens. How did we keep entertained without chickens?

4. My super-dee-duper comfortable yoga pants. Someone needs to invent a yoga skirt & then I'd be set for life.

5. Being able to write this from home doing the only job I've ever wanted to do!

10 comments:

Neisha said...

amen!!

Heather S said...

it's terrible when your family is sick. Having 4 kids, if 1 gets sick, they all wait to take their turn.. so it's spread out over a loong period of time. (but it's probably better than all 4 being sick at once)

Gary said...

My kids used to enjoy playing with the little turkeys. Funny how they didn't enjoy working with them when the turkeys were bigger.

Shannon said...

i can't wait to take nolan school supply shopping! maybe i'd better do that soon before it's all wiped out...or i have to fight the mobs of last-minute shoppers.

i have chicken envy.

i hope we can figure out lake elmo sometime soon...maybe the last week of august?

Mindy said...

shannon - some advice, try to go school supply shopping with nolan only. it seems like there are mobs no matter when you go. i'd have had much more fun doing the actual shopping without the 3 kids!

the last week of august should work if we do it at the beginning of the week. keep in touch.

Heidi said...

Oh, sorry to hear you guys have sick bugs -- no fun at all. Just fyi, I have this skirt, and it's about as close to a "yoga skirt" as I can imagine. Of course it might be interesting for the rest of the group if you actually did yoga in it, but anyway....
http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=46842&vid=1&pid=694256

thisbpat said...

Last night was really fun. I even got to hold Kaia for more than just a couple of minutes.

Lani said...

Hang in there my dear. I love your list. Let me know when you find that yoga skirt. ;) I'll have to check out that Athleta link Heidi posted.

Amber said...

I bought yoga skirts from old navy last season for $4 each, but i had just given birth so they don't fit me now :( Sorry everyones sick...and that you're stressed. Hang in there :)

Ethel said...

love it!