Wednesday, March 18, 2009

In The Mood

To cook that is! Every now and then I feel all domestic & have an uncontrollable urge to make my own stock & home made bread. Lots of you are busy mothers & so cooking like this can feel overwhelming at times. I thought I'd share my easy way to get all domestic & maybe you all can share yours in the comment section.

First of all I roast a whole chicken & make mashed potatoes for supper the night before. Be sure to make lots of mashed potatoes so you have extra left over. That way you can look like a Domestic Goddess when you make these fool-proof buns. That's right if I can make them, any fool can!

After supper all you have to do is throw the chicken carcass into the crock pot. Add filtered water, carrots, celery, onions, parsley & vinegar. (Feel free to get creative here. I didn't have any celery to use last night so I just threw in some bok choy). Go to bed with the crock pot on low. In the morning all you have to do is strain the broth into a bowl, throw away the veggies & pick out all the good chicken meat. Put the broth in the fridge & later you can skim the solidified fat off the top.

Start making your bread late morning & in the afternoon you can make some kind of soup with your home made stock & salvaged chicken meat. I can't believe that I used to just throw the carcass away. I must have had too much money then! Tonight I'm going to make a cheesy broccoli & chicken soup to go along with the yummy home made rolls that just came out of the oven.

Be sure to tell me what you do to get all Martha Stewart like!

13 comments:

Cheri said...

the word carcass cracks me up, so thanks for the laugh!! I'm looking for a new broccoli soup recipe....I have 10 lbs in my freezer! Liam would love the fresh bread dipped in the chicken broth!

The J's said...

oh yummy yummy!! Sounds wonderful to me! If you ever boil the boneless chicken breasts to make chicken salad, or any other casserole with it, then save your "chicken water broth" to use for soup. I use it in potato soup & any veg. soup.

Tammie said...

You sound like Martha Steward to me. I don't think I have ever bought a whole chicken, okay I know I've never bought a whole chicken. Chicken wings or drummies once or twice, but nothing else with bones in it. Homemade rolls too, tell Craig he's lucky:) Aaron got porkchops in the crockpot for supper, no vegetable or potatoes, just chops. He was happy, beats the cold cereal he had the last two nights.

Neisha said...

anyway you can save the veggies and use them in something else? I'd hate to just throw them out. Or are they really mushy?

Amber said...

I always make up lasagna's and enchiladas and then freeze them.

Mindy said...

neisha - my veggies were really mushy. i used them 2 times though. i used them as a rack for the chicken the night before when it was roasting.

Anonymous said...

You would look at all the food waste in my house as a moral outrage. I like the idea of being efficient and martha stewart like though! We do put our bread in the freezer now so we no longer have to routinely throw almost full loaves of moldy bread.

Heather S said...

We're trying to eat more 'natural', making our own 'everything' when possible. I try to take one day a week and/or a Saturday (when 3 of our kids are at G'pas) and bake bread, freeze meals, etc..!
But with 4 kids, I'm content just to have a meal on the table somedays! :)

Mindy said...

seth - i'm so disappointed. didn't you notice the special word i was able to work into my post?!

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah I was going to comment on that but it must have solidified my thought process and prevented me from remembering to do it.

Anonymous said...

Tammie, why aren't you cooking good meals for my son & grandkids? Shame on you! Gary got frozen pizza for supper last nite. I took some left over chicken meat & some saved frozen ck broth and stater a soup for tomorrow. Maybe ck & dumplings.
Share your bread recipe, Mindy/

Aaron & Cassie said...

I found your blog through blog hopping from Sara A's. I tried your potato rolls tonight and couldn't get them to rise. What did I do wrong? My yeast may have been bad or maybe the water was too hot when I added the yeast? How hot should it be? They were still pretty good, so I know if they would rise, they'd be scrumptous! Thanks for this great recipe!

Aaron & Cassie said...

I did let the water and yeast sit but I'm not sure what it was supposed to do. Ha! I'm not much of a cook, huh? This was my first attempt at making handmade bread. I normally throw all the ingredients in the bread machine and make dough and then roll it out.