Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Home Sweet Home

The reason why I'm sitting on my butt typing instead of doing my yoga class (which I desperately need, by the way) is because we just got back from a spur of the moment trip to Iowa. At 7:45 the kids were still sleeping. If we were to go to my class I'd have had to wake them up, get them fed & dressed & in the van in 15 minutes. I so didn't have the energy for that this morning. We had a mostly good time on our quick trip. We got to go to a dear woman's funeral (the reason for the trip). It was so nice to catch up with her family & some of our friends there. We got to help my brother celebrate his 29th birthday. Please don't mistake it for his 30th! We got to relax around Iowa City with him, my mom & my aunt. We also got to spend Sunday with some good friends in Cedar Rapids and had a nice supper with my Dad. Unfortunately we had an experience that really put a damper on our entire trip. It was stinking hot the whole time we were there & on Friday morning the air conditioning in the van slowly started to die. Everyone who had to ride in our van experienced extreme crabbiness at some point - it was not pretty. To make matters worse the passenger window got stuck down & at 4:30 am on Monday morning my poor mom was outside right before the rain started trying to get it up. Thankfully she managed to do so. Craig convinced me to get the van fixed before I came home which was probably a good thing. I can't imagine how long that 4 hour drive would have felt if I hadn't. So, that's the good news. The bad news is that I spent over $200 & it's only partly fixed. We still need to figure out where the leak is & why only the bottom vents are blowing out. Anyway, it feels good to be home. I think I'll stay here until the baby comes now. It's time to start getting the nest ready!

5 comments:

Sara, Justin, Simon and Max said...

Glad you got to see everyone, so sorry your a/c broke, what bad timing in this heat! Take care of yourselves!

Ethel said...

seems like when things start going awry it's best to sit tight! i remember being pregnant and pushing my car around town as it had died..yep, literally had to push the thing out of the way of other vehicles and into a gas station...by my little/big self!..i also got t-boned in that same car while still pregnant!! that car is in a dump somewhere as we speak.

Brian, Erin, Connor & Ty said...

Yuck! Nothing like being hot when you're pregnant : P Our A/C & belt went on our trip home for Amanda's graduation & it ended up being over $800 to repair : ( Never fun to spend on that kind of thing. We'll be staying home after this weekend too besides convention so it feels like the countdown is really here! You look great still - love the picture in your last post! Wondering if you are still using the stuff you learned in the Love & Logic book? I'm just finishing reading it & trying it out a bit & wondered what you thought over time...

Mindy said...

erin - i do still use some of the stuff i learned & i think it really does work. the hardest part is re-training yourself! i think being calm when you give a consequence is key, although easier said than done!

Lani said...

Oh no... sorry your trip home didn't go a little smoother car trouble wise. Gah. Hope everythings getting fixed.