Monday, March 21, 2011

Perfectionism = Guilt

Yesterday we had some lovely company, but I have no photos to prove it. (guilt, guilt, guilt) We have a guest book, but I didn't get it out & require a signature. (guilt, guilt, guilt) However there is one particular conversation we had that has been circling around in my mind. It was the one about perfectionism and how it stops us. One way it stops me is here on my blog. I've had a blog idea in mind for quite a while. Since I haven't gotten around to making it more than an idea I've neglected my poor little blog. I've also neglected any readers I may still have. (guilt, guilt, guilt) I'm going to go out on a limb and do a different post. I'll attempt to let go of some perfectionism and banish some guilt!

- It's OK if most of the food I cook doesn't come from this cookbook. I do cook every night after all. That has to count for something.

- It's OK if I am occasionally impatient with my kids. I just need to stop making a habit of it.

- It's OK if I text and email certain friends and family more than I call them. I just want to pick up the phone once in a while. Preferably not while driving.

- It's OK if I spend more time cooking and cleaning than playing with Kaia. After all I'm teaching her how to keep a home and how to be independent. As if she needs help with the latter part!

- It's OK if I play a game with the kids instead of finishing laundry or making the kitchen spotless. After all the work will be waiting for me in the morning.

- It's OK that I'm still eating too much dairy and sugar. I've wanted to do a fast and cleanse for a long time. However I have a certain girls weekend away planned. I'm pretty sure we'll be eating dairy. And sugar. Probably. After that I will do it. Promise. Hold me to it.

- It's OK that I stick Kaia in kid care during the big kids' swim lessons. Sure she'd love to swim with me, but she also loves playing in kid care.

- It's OK that most of our garments are donated to Goodwill after a button falls off. Chances are I can find a replacement at the same place on $1.50 day. With all buttons intact!

- It's OK that I have a chocolate addiction. After all we only have dark chocolate in our pantry. It's health food isn't it? Just don't think I'll tell you how much I consume on an average day.

- It's OK that my kids only bathe once or twice a week in the winter. How dirty can they get inside all day long?

- It's OK that Ayla and I are still reading this book. If it's been renewed too many times all I have to do is return it & check it out again. I just can't say if I've done that more than once.

- It's OK that our Fall clean-up never got done outside. It's more fun to clean in the Spring anyway.

What makes YOU feel guilty? Tell me and I'll tell you why you don't need to feel bad about it.

15 comments:

Jessie K said...

Chocolate is a veggie, therefore you are eating your quota (and then some!) of veggies per day!

I spend waaaay too much time on the computer reading blogs. Even my hubby has noticed and commented once or twice (or eight) times!

Brenda said...

You have "THAT" cookbook too? And you don't cook from it, either? Gasp!!! I love that book, and don't use it as often as I'd like. I am starting to get fed up with guilt, too. Last night I stood up for myself and said NO. This is my day off, and I am not whipping up a dessert. Was I wrong? Nope.

Mindy said...

jessie, i bet your computer blog reading time is your time to connect with the outside world. with other mom's. with other adults. right? it sure was for me when my kids were small. now that they are a bit bigger my need for blog time has tapered off a bit!

Mindy said...

liw - not whipping up dessert was good for everyone. maybe they will learn to whip up their own desserts? and become a pastry chef. or better yet a cookbook author. of a book that isn't intimidating to cook from!

Neisha said...

I spend too much time on the computer.

I don't spend as much with my kids as I should

i use processed foods way more than i should

Pam said...

i spend too much time on the computer and reading instead of organizing and menu planning.

Shannon said...

the last time i cracked open that cookbook was just to prove a point. the point was that liver is good for us. and i haven't made it in years. does that make my hypocritical? hope not.

i bought my husband a fairly meaningless birthday gift.

i bought two new skirts recently. the total would have bought a week of groceries. major guilt.

uh. there's always my lack of laundry ability to feel guilty about.

boy, i could be here all day i think.

Mindy said...

hmmm, maybe everyone should do their own post about guilt. twould be fun/entertaining/helpful to read!

Shannon said...

hoppin' on that.

shannon g said...

those laura books take forever to get through! usually we get one at the beginning of summer and hope that we finish it before school starts! your post title is very true. i never realized that before. i've pretty much given up on perfectionism because i was never attaining it...it does help with the guilt some! =) love your post, you're doing great as a wife, mom and friend.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kerry said...

I really enjoyed this, Mindy :) I have all the same ones (even not bathing my kids enough!)

I've noticed that the longer winter goes on, the more of a slacker mom I become. "you want doritos? sure".
"the baby wants chocolate and chips? ok", and so on...

Mindy said...

oh kerry. i do the same with my "baby". maybe it's just the way it is with your youngest. this morning when i was packing the kids' lunches she asked (ok, demanded) that i give her a choc. chip cookie too. i hesitated for a fraction of a second & thought, "weeeeell, she did eat breakfast already after all" and then handed it over without a second thought.

Anonymous said...

Love your "It's okay's." And it's also okay if they change from time to time. Does it make you feel any better that I've never even heard of that cookbook??

Ethel said...

hi...i feel guilty for not checking all my friends blogs as often as i used to..fb and an attempt to limit computer time have waged war on the time i used to spend "catching" up!! ( guilt guilt...can't win either way, i guess!!)
and not really scrubbing the kitchen floor. I don't know the last time it got an all out scrubbing/ beating/ scuffing...it needs it. it wants it...and i feel guilty not giving it. maybe this week? maybe???? thanks for posting!!! relax, girl. You're doing great ...awesome in fact. Stellar!!!!!