Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Food And Stuff

Is it me or does it seem like the cost of food skyrocketed overnight? Granted, I had a little less to spend this past week, but still. $100 later & our fridge looks pretty empty. Anyway, it's actually kind of fun to figure out how to feed everyone with a bit less. At least food doesn't go to waste this way. Tonight I started with about 3 cups of leftover roast & I must say supper was delicious. Here's the recipe I used;

Beef Pot Pie
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 cups beef broth
  • 3 cups cubed leftover beef
  • 1 1/2 cups frozen veggies (I used carrots & beans as it's what I had on hand)
  • 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
  • your favorite biscuit recipe
In a medium saucepan, cook onion in butter until onion is tender. Stir in flour and salt until smooth and bubbly. Stir in beef broth. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, until thick and bubbly. Add leftover beef, veggies, and parsley; heat through. Taste and adjust seasonings, adding whatever your little heart desires. Pour beef mixture into a 2-quart casserole. Prepare biscuit dough & dollop on top of hot beef mixture. Don't you just love to use the word dollop whenever you get a chance? No? Okay, moving on. Bake beef pot pie at 450° for 20 to 25 minutes.

Serve with salad & you have a lovely meal using *gasp* leftovers. I'm too frugal to waste food, but I do try to make each incarnation enjoyable & different. It looked yummy too, but I didn't think of taking a photo until it was half devoured. What do you like to do with your leftovers? Any to die for recipes to share?

************************************************************

The stuff in our life right now is our seemingly never ending bathroom project. The floor is done! I think it's beautiful. Tonight we primed some walls. Now, we just need to decide on the exact shade of paint to use. Maybe, just maybe we can install the toilet & sink this weekend?

We have a wall color in mind, but just for curiosities sake, what color would you choose?

11 comments:

thisbpat said...

Looks better than the last lime I saw it.

Mimi/Susan said...

You know I'll give my opinion, right? LOL. I'd personnaly use a very light shade of your floor tile and then have bursts of color from towels, flowers, pictures, etc. Go here:

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/visualizer/

and pick a color. Remember light from windows will make paint look different, so if you can get a little sample can and try it on spots on all 4 walls it really helps. Tell us what you decide on! And post an "after" picture.

Heather S said...

that beef pot pie sounds delish.

i can hardly wait until our kids are all teenagers and eat even more :)

Amber said...

Terra cotta or olve green...my key sn't workng (eye key) so eye can spell :)

Pam said...

The recipe sounds delicious!

For a color i'd pick a brown.

Shannon said...

i love the word dollop! we're broke too. rice and beans, beans and rice. i've been using barley and quiona a lot as rice replacement...get sick of rice. i'll post a "salad" recipe that is aweeeeesome sometime today if i remember. it's not like i'll be outside enjoying the gorgeous rainy day. phht.

Neisha said...

sage green for wall color

supper sounds good. i kind of made up a recipe last night and the kids loved it!

Jenny said...

sky-blue pink?

Anita said...

The recipe does sound yummy. And easy. And comforting.

And I'd go for the green you've got on your blog background right now. At least for some of it. But that's just 'cause I like the color. I'm not much good with actual decorating...

Little Miss Nobody said...

Interesting recipe and funny that so many other people picked the colour I was thinking, too! I was thinking of the green you have on your blog, too. I have a green that's close in our bathroom and master bedroom. I think it's called Lemon Verbana in the Sherwin Williams concepts of color collection. The wine/burgundy colour on your blog also looks nice with your floor colour, although might get a little dark, if there's not a lot of light in the room?? anyway, great work... i love the tile!

Lani said...

Orange! But that's just me. I kinda like orange. I think you should go with what you like, however. Did you decide on what yellow? :)